The following Charge was given to Pastor Tyler at his ordination service on Sunday.
Having repented of sin and having placed your faith in Jesus Christ; having been baptized by immersion in water and been made a member of this local church; having faithfully served for years in many capacities; having prayed and studied and read and grown in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus; and having aspired to the office of Elder and having been approved and affirmed to that office after careful examination by all the elders, deacons and the members of Kamloops First Baptist Church;
On behalf of the church and the elders and deacons, I now charge you, Tyler Walkden, to keep the following:
- According to Hebrews 13:17 to lead a life worthy of emulation; to joyfully watch over the souls of this flock as one who will give an accounting for each of them to God
- According to 1 Peter 5:1, to shepherd God’s flock allotted to you willingly, eagerly, seeking to model first what you ask of them
- According to Acts 20: 17, to serve the Lord with both joy and tears, to resist every temptation to shrink back from declaring the whole Gospel, to preach repentance and faith in Christ alone, to willingly accept suffering, to value the calling and Gospel of Jesus Christ above your own life, to guard the church as the blood-bought possession of Jesus Christ, and to care for her as His most valuable possession; to stay alert at your post, even willing to rebuke fellow elders who preach or teach any doctrine not found in God’s Word.
- According to 2 Corinthians 11-12, to willingly suffer for Jesus’ sake hardship, torture, betrayal, inconvenience, disappointment, persecution, calamities, and the daily pressures of concern for the church
- According to 1 Timothy 4:6, to value the Word of God over all else, to train yourself for godliness, to labour and strive with persistence in the work of your ministry, to address men’s lives as well as their minds, calling others to follow your personal growth in godliness and sanctification, and to keep close watch on your life and your doctrine.
- According to 2 Timothy, to not be ashamed of the Gospel or the Saviour, regardless of the audience; to handle the Word of Truth accurately; to correct with gentleness and not quarrelsomeness; to preach the Word of God, in season and out of season, reproving, rebuking, and exhorting with complete patience and teaching, and to entrust your soul to the Faithful Creator no matter the blessing, the trial or persecution
Tyler, because we believe
- the Holy Spirit has gifted you to this ministry
- and made you a gift to this church
- and we trust that we have not acted in haste, but in prayerful dependence on Christ
- and having full confidence in the leading of the Holy Spirit and the discerning approval of this church congregation,
Therefore, now it is our joy as the elders of this church to lay hands on you and we call upon God Himself to seal you to this ministry for your life and His glory.
[The laying on of hands and prayer]